Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why are propane prices not the same for every customer?
A: Unlike oil, propane prices are based on the number of gallons you use per year. Because the uses of propane vary significantly the consumption can range from 25 to well over 1000 gallons per year. Those that use more propane pay less accordingly.
Q: What does propane smell like?
A: By nature, propane is clear and contains no scent at all. For safety purposes propane companies add a substance known as ethyl-mercaptan to the propane fuel. Ethyl-mercaptan has a strong rotten egg, or skunk-like scent, which allows the consumer to smell it in the case of a leak. If you smell something similar near your appliances and your tank it is possible that you are low in fuel. Ethyl-mercaptan is heavier than propane and sinks to the bottom of the tank so when the tank is low on fuel the ethyl-mercaptan smell will become more noticeable.
Q: How do you know when to deliver for customers on automatic delivery?
A: We deliver based on two factors: the current outside temperature and your usual usage. Our computer system calculates the amount of gallons each customer uses between deliveries and can therefore determine a general delivery schedule after 2 or 3 deliveries have been made. If there is going to be a drastic change in your usage such as: you are temporarily out of town (1month or more), more people have moved in to your residence, you are using more heat due to construction at the home, you add a new appliance or a new heating system, you should contact our company to let us know so we can ensure that you do not run out of fuel.
Q: What are the advantages to locking in the price of fuel for the winter?
A: The greatest advantage to pre-buying or locking in your fuel price for the heating season is that you are protected in the event of an increase in fuel prices. Typically oil and propane prices tend to rise when the demand is the highest, which in our case is in the winter months. For this purpose, pre-buying your fuel in the summer or fall for the winter months can save our customers hundreds of dollars. We offer a Guaranteed Price Protection Program which enables our customers to choose 1 of 3 money saving options.
Q: What are the different options you offer on your Guaranteed Price Protection Program and when is the best time to join the program?
A: Proulx offers Guaranteed Price Protection Plans that lock your fuel rate for all DIFFERENT kinds of terms and programs. These plans are available for Oil, Propane, Kerosene and BioHeat. Customers who participate go on automatic delivery, so NO WORRY again about running out of fuel by mistake! Pricing subject to daily changes. Please call the office for current pricing and plan enrollment!
- Option 1: Fixed Price Only
The price of your selected fuel would be at a fixed rate for the entire heating season, no matter how the daily rate fluctuates. This option does require one payment in full.
- Option 2: Capped Price PLUS Downside Protection
The price of your selected fuel would be at a capped rate for the entire heating season. If the daily rate drops below your capped rate than you would be billed the lower rate. There is a cost to the downside protection, please contact the office for that pricing information. This option does require one payment in full.
- Option 3: Capped Price plus downside protection with budget payment options
The price of your selected fuel would be at a capped rate for the entire heating season. If the daily rate drops below your capped rate than you would be billed the lower rate. There is a cost to the downside protection; it is built into your budget payment. With this option you can spread your payments into as many as 12 payments!
Q: Can I make payments on my balance?
A: If you can make a reasonable payment arrangement for your balance, payment arrangements will be accepted. Future deliveries will not be released until pass due balances are paid. You should contact the office if you are interested in making payment arrangements.
Q: Can I get a partial fill for my propane tank?
A: If you have 240 gallons or above for propane storage at your home you may receive a partial fill, a minimum delivery is half your tank size. If you receive a partial fill you will be subject to additional charge of $0.25 per gallon.
Q: What is the minimum delivery for oil and kerosene?
A: 150 gallons
Q: How soon can I get a delivery if I open on account?
A: In most cases we are able to get you a delivery the next business day after you get an account setup. It may vary on what product you are looking for, but call the office to get more information based on the product you are looking to be delivered.
Q: Do you have service for my oil furnace?
A: We have oil contractors that we use for our oil servicing; they are available 24-7-365 days a year. If you need your furnace cleaned or serviced, call our office and we will put you in contact with one of our contractors.
Q: How come I didn't get a bill after my delivery, just a ticket?
A: Our drivers leave the delivery ticket as a bill for our customers. You have 15 days to pay for your deliveries; it is after 30 days that finance charges start to accrue. If you would like to have an invoice mailed to you after each delivery, just request that when you talk to a representative from our company.
Q: What are your office hours?
A: We are open 7:30am to 5pm Monday through Friday, and Saturday 8am-12pm, November through March.
Q: What happens if I run out of fuel?
A: If you run out of fuel we are able to get you out a delivery that day. We have emergency service for those times that you run out outside of normal business hours. Additional charges may apply to those who are not on a regular delivery schedule with us.
Q: What are some conservation tips for saving money?
- Turn down your thermostat at LEAST 6 degrees below your normal comfort zone when you are not at home.
- Closing blinds and shades can help keep the heat in your living area
- Regardless of the fuel that you are using, have your heating system cleaned and serviced ANNUALLY. It pays for itself in energy savings and in piece of mind.
- Proulx's Heat Force Premium Fuel will burn cleaner thus reducing the amount of fuel you will use each year.
- Insulate long runs of heat pipes in your basement to keep the heat in the pipe longer. Insulation is readily available at your local hardware store.
- Fix leaky faucets. A faucet dripping hot water can cost you a lot of money over time.
- Sign up for automatic delivery. We make less trips to your home with automatic delivery and that saves energy consumption in general.
- Sign up for ACH payment with Proulx for your account. Have you thought about how much energy we use to mail a payment in for your heating bill?
- Have your Air Conditioning system cleaned and serviced annually. Yes, it too needs attention. Your electric bill will tell you!
- Install a Rinnai space heater in the area of your home where you spend the most amount of time and turn the thermostat DOWN in the rest of your home. Many of our customers have done this already. Why heat your entire home when you and your family are all together in two rooms of the house, 75% of the time? Call and ask us about a Rinnai space heater for your home.